Although the ruins of the castle of Rouelbeau were designated as historical monuments in 1921, they were subsequently left to decay and the remains of the walls are poorly preserved. The recent discovery of a text from 1339, which gives a precise description of the wooden building which predated the current castle, has led to a new understanding of both the remains of the stone-built building and the various structures of the older wooden castle.
After 12 years of excavations, it is time to celebrate the inauguration of the renovation of the Rouelbeau Castle, built in 1318. Come and enjoy a two-day festival on the 3rd and 4th of September on the site of the ruins of the castle. The restauration of the castle is part of the renaturation project of the Seymaz, a stream which meanders through the countryside on the left bank of Lake Geneva.
The ruins are on the edge of the nature reserve of the Seymaz. It is free to access.
Access & Contact
Address of the site: Chemin de Rouelbeau 1252 Meinier
From downtown Geneva, take the the bus A from Rive in direction of Gy, bus stop Meinier Pralys. Ca. 10 minutes walk to the site.
Contact: Republique de Canton de Geneve Office du patrimoine et des sites Service cantonal d’archéologie Rue du Puits-Saint-Pierre 4 1204 Genève Tel 022 327 94 50